January is not only the time for great retrospectives and “best of lists” from the online horror community, but also awards. Eo2L would like to thank Maryanne from The Spooky Brew for nominating us for a Kreativ Blogger Award, Johnny Sandman from The Paradise of Horror for the One Lovely Blog Award and Chris at Fascination With Fear for the Fantastically Frightening Award (created by Day of the Woman‘s BJ-C). However, with great awards come great responsibilities. Each of these awards suggest that you pass the award on to others (7 others for the Kreativ Blogger Award, 15 for the One Lovely Blog Award and an unspecified number for The Fantastically Frightening Award). The Fantastically Frightening Award also requests that you specify why you’re passing the award on to each blog. The Kreativ Blogger Award has a few more rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the Kreativ Blogger Award logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated
Items 1-3 have been taken care of, so here are some things you might not know about the folks behind Evil on Two Legs.
- I fall asleep to a different DVD commentary track every night. I have a hard time sleeping without one playing.
- My wife loves the Saw series but was terrified by The Grudge and refuses to watch any of Paranormal Activity.
- At least at home, I watch all horror films with my two schnauzers, Mulder & Servo. It’s unclear if they enjoy the genre.
- My favorite horror film is Halloween. The first horror film I ever saw was Halloween.
- In high school I worked as a telemarketer. I hated doing it just as much as you hated me calling.
- For years I insulted and bashed the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer based only on its name and film version. It is now my favorite show of all time.
- In college I was fired from a video store for stealing a VHS of Father of the Bride 2. In addition to being angry because I was innocent, I was upset they thought my taste was that bad.
- In college, I sold Neil Gaiman a bagel sandwich (it was an egg and cheese on onion).
- I think yodeling is interesting.
- I will watch any movie with the words “devil,” “thing,” or “beyond” in its title.
- As much as I love them, I rarely watch films twice in their entirety. Some exceptions are: Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Psycho, Frankenstein (1931), City of Lost Children, and Blade Runner.
- I think lolcats are a little bit horrifying.
- The first film I ever saw (horror or otherwise) was The Beast Must Die. The first film I ever saw at a movie theater was Love at First Bite.
- If I were granted three wishes, I would spend one of them bringing back the Joe Bob Briggs TV show “Monstervision.”
For the sake of brevity, we’ve decided to combine our nominations for all three awards into one short list. These are sites that we love that have not already received these awards (to the best of our knowledge) that we think deserve a special shout out. If you are on this list, feel free to pick your own award from the three (or, if you’re greedy… grab ’em all!). Given that all of these sites are horror related, I’d think you’d go for the Fantastically Frightening award… but if roses and teacups are more your thing, more power to you. Lastly, realize there are hundreds nay thousands of deserving sites out there, so please do not be offended if you’ve been overlooked by these viral award things. We try to keep our blog roll (see sidebar) updated with the active horror blogs that we enjoy, but even that is just a sampling of the quality sites out there. If you are a horror blogger that puts time, energy and passion into your site, then please consider yourself a recipient, from us, of these awards as well.
One of the most unique and consistently entertaining voices in the horror blogging community. If you’re not reading Final Girl, you’re not doing it right.
If it scared you as a kid, you’ll find it here. And you’ll love it.
Freddy in Space
With recent posts like “The Top 25 Kills of the Last 10 Years” and “Cool Shit on Ebay,” this blog feels a lot like it’s being written just for us. But it’s probably ok if you like it too.
All Frankenstein, all the time.
Perhaps the only person we can definitively say watches more slashers than either of us. This site is a little slice of slasher film heaven.
No Room in Hell
Slickly designed and smartly written, No Room in Hell is another horror blog written by two friends.
The Horror Section
In addition to its nostalgia-laden content, just the design of this site will instantly transport you back to when you were just discovering horror films and each oversized VHS box in the video store held a mystique that’s difficult to find in the DVD and internet age.
Update: Somehow it escaped our notice that No Room In Hell bestowed upon us the esteemed Zombie Chicken Award. Can you feel the love? Well, hopefully we can pass some of that love on… The blogs we nominated above should feel free to include the Zombie Chicken Award among their possible award options as well. Here’s the description:
The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken – excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words.